2009/02/12

The never-ending march of technology

Being 44 I'm old enough to remember a world without cell phones. Hell, I'm old enough to remember a world where only the Bell Company controlled all our telephony communications. I'm old enough that I remember the days before call waiting, call forwarding and answer machines.  

Well maybe the answer machine thing isn't completely true. I know they were around, but let's just say that I'm old enough to remember a time when answering machines were expensive and about the size of a VCR.  

Anyway.....the daughter is home today from school; ill. Or faking it. Who can tell? She was supposed to have a two-hour stint of car driving with her driving instructor, but we have opted to phone and try to reschedule seeing how the daughter doesn't feel well. Or pretends to not feel well. The daughter phoned the firm earlier to inquire about rescheduling today's lesson and the woman said that she would call back.  

It's now 1455 and we haven't heard back so I suggested to the daughter that she phone again, which she did. The daughter came into the t.v. room, where I was vegging, with this perplexed look upon her face, phone in hand, and said "Listen to this," and she proceeded to dial the phone number. Turning on the speaker phone I listened and heard the busy-signal that we so rarely hear today in a world of call waiting, call forwarding, voice mail, etc. Instead it was that awful cacophony of noise that used to tell us that the other party's line was engaged and that you would have to try them again later.  

The daughter looked truly perplexed and I had to explain that she was hearing a busy signal, etc. It suddenly struck me how odd her world is compared to mine at that age. Technology has truly changed the face of our everyday world. Just a few generations ago technological advances didn't typically have much impact upon the everyday life of consumers, but this clearly isn't the case today and for our future.  

It leaves me wondering what sort of sights and sounds will be completely unfamiliar to my daughter's children when they reach her age and how funny she will find those moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment